Thursday, April 10, 2008

4am wakeup call

I woke up this morning at 4am because I heard a loud sound. I didn't know exactly what it was but just attributed it to the very loud thunderstorms we were having complete with rain, thunder, lightning and A LOT of hard wind. I was kind of nervous that there was a tornado and also curious as to why I hadn't heard Gabriella crying to eat yet... she hadn't eaten since 6:30pm so it was a really long stretch for her. I decided since I was already awake because of the rain to get up, check out the rain, and go look in on Gabby. She was in her bed... on her stomach. She's good at flipping herself over and I guess decided that was the most comfortable way to sleep - but it was the first time I've discovered her like that. It kind of freaked me out at first since you're supposed to put babies to sleep on their backs - which I had done - but she had obviously turned over in the night. And since she hadn't woken up to eat I thought that something was wrong like maybe she wasn't breathing - but of course she was fine and snoozing away.

There WAS however something wrong at our house, I just didn't know what it was yet. On my way back to bed, I looked out the back window to discover this wonderful sight in our backyard. Our biggest tree had decided to do a swan dive through the fence onto our driveway! It didn't hurt the roof hardly at all and fortunately our cars were in the garage... but we've got a humongous tree blocking our cars in the garage. We've got some fence/gate damage and some gutter damage, but it could have been much worse.

Turns out this tree was rotten on the inside which made it more unstable - so down it went. Fortunately, I called early enough this morning to beat the rush and got a tree removal service to come out first thing. So it should be cleared out today thankfully! Crazy times! Our neighbor Jennifer was the very generous taxi driver this morning and took Matt to work on her way to take her kids to school. Great neighbors! So I've been sitting here all morning listening to the sound of chainsaws and marveling at the minor damage we received and the major damage that we fortunately escaped. What a blessing!

2 comments:

ASC said...

Yikes! I am glad you are all ok. Somehow, we escaped any damage, but most of our neighbors have at least tree damage, or much worse.

And hooray for baby girl sleeping so well through the night! And what a night to do so!

Rick J said...

Wow! Glad you guys are all OK!