Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ultrasound Day!

Today, Matt met me and "baby in the belly" at the doctor's office for our mid-way ultrasound. I am 19 weeks today! We were very excited to get to see some pictures of our baby moving around. Ultrasounds are so amazing! I could have one every day - love them! Our baby was very active and made the technician chase him/her around the whole morning. Neither of our other kids were quite like that in the ultrasound, so we may have a wild one on our hands. We were sure to specify before we started that we did not want to know if it was a boy or girl. So as she started she kept repeating to herself "they don't want to find out" so she didn't accidentally slip :)

When it came time for her to check the tell-tale area, she cautioned us to look away. That was HARD! It hasn't really been too hard to this point knowing we were going to wait and find out and I'm still feeling good about it right now, but let me tell you... when it is up on the screen in front of your face and you have to turn away (I even ended up closing my eyes so I wouldn't peek) - that is HARD! But I'm super excited to find out on delivery day - maybe even more so now that I've gotten to see them in action a little bit.

The baby kept putting it's hands up by it's face and opening and closing it's mouth. I think it's ready to eat already! They did notice that one of the kidneys is enlarged. Not super enlarged, but still above normal. So I have to go back in a month and get another ultrasound to check up on that. They are hoping it is just not fully developed and will work itself out. If not, there may be a blockage of some sort that we would have to work out after delivery. If that is what they determine at the next ultrasound, they would refer us to a Pediatric Urologist so that we could establish a relationship and prepare to take the baby there after delivery. I am praying that it is resolved, but preparing to have an ongoing issue just in case. Either way, it shouldn't be too severe since we are born with 2 kidneys, but I hope my baby can start life with two fully functioning ones, ya know! So be praying if you would!

Here are a couple pictures of baby's cute face!

Profile/side view - Head on the right, lying down, nose and mouth on the top of the head


More of a body shot - same position. Profile - head on right, face up

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go! I've always wanted to be surprised with the gender, but never really thought through how hard that would be to dip and duck your way around finding out. Very proud of ya'll :)