Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I love my family!

Over Labor Day weekend we got to visit my family in Utah. We flew up there with all 3 kids - woo hoo! Actually, they all did really well traveling. They are at good ages for that. The big kids were excited to go on an airplane and see their family. Excitement helps their behavior! And the promise of Toy Story 3 fruit snacks on the airplane didn't hurt either! And Melia just slept the whole time. Score.

We were so thankful for the help both of our parents provided - both in dropping us off at the airport in Dallas and picking us up at the airport in Salt Lake. Priceless! The hardest part is getting from the car to check-in with all 3 kids and all the luggage - and 3 car seats! So the curbside service was a lifesaver! I was able to cram the clothes for all 5 of us into one suitcase and save $50 in luggage fees since we didn't have to check two suitcases. It was a heavy suitcase - but came in at 2 pounds below the 50 pound limit! I love saving money!

The thing I was most excited about this trip was getting the see my sister Megan's new baby McKinley! I was dying to see her and was so glad to get to see her when she was only 1 week and 3 days old (yes, I was counting down the days)! She was so adorable, looks just like her Daddy Travis, and was awake and alert a lot of the time which was so fun to see!

McKinley and Megan

Us with our new babies


The big kids were excited to meet her as well - especially since they now have a lot of experience with babies since sister Melia came along.

Oliver and Gabriella holding their newest cousin! Their first cousin on my side of the family.


We got to spend some time at my Aunt Darla and Uncle Mark's home while we were there. The kids enjoyed playing with some of my cousins kids. Oliver found a room full of bigger boy toys and he told Matt: "Hey Dad, look at all of this awesome!!!" Funny what kids say. Daddy and Uncle Travis also thought the nerf guns he found were a whole lot of awesome! Gabriella got to spend some time harvesting some vegetables from their garden. She picked some green beans off the vine and some grapes! She enjoyed her time as a "farmer" as she called it.



Gabby with her basket full of her harvest!

My parents rented a big house at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon for us all to stay in for the weekend. With 5 bedrooms, a pool table, air hockey table and an indoor half court basketball gym, there was plenty to keep everyone entertained. It was really relaxing to let the kids roam the house on their own being entertained by everything in the house as well as by all of the family staying there.

The view from the back porch of the house


We spent time celebrating Megan's 25th birthday with lunch, shopping and pedicures (one of my favorite combinations). Gabriella got to join in on the fun and had her first pedicure!

Sitting with Aunt Natty getting her pedicure!

I attempted a mini photo shoot with the two new babies wearing the matching shirts I bought them. They obliged for a little while...



But they didn't hold out for too long...

The pacifiers made it better... and they even matched too!


While we were there, we got a chance to go up to the University of Utah Medical Center to visit my cousin Dustin's family who has been up there by his bedside since Dustin was in a car accident on August 26th. Here is a link to his Caring Bridge site. He sustained severe spinal cord damage and is currently paralyzed from the chest down. Please pray for healing for his spinal cord (which thankfully was not severed, just badly damaged) - and that he will be able to walk again.

Another highlight of the trip was getting to see a lot of my Dad's side of the family who live in the area. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot! We had around 60 people over on Sunday for a family reunion. It was great to get to reconnect with a lot of family members I hadn't seen in a while and get to show off my cute kids.

My Dad's cousin is a Chiropractor and was giving free adjustments. The kids watched as Daddy got worked on.

I looked over a few minutes later and noticed that Gabriella was giving Adalie an adjustment as well. They even used Kleenex that they found to make a sanitary work surface :)

It was great to spend time with all of my family, but especially with my sisters. Love y'all!

3 comments:

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

LOVE Melia's flower bow! And you're right, she does look huge next to her little cousin... what fun!

Megan and Travis said...

What a great weekend!!! I can't wait until Emily's Bridal Shower so we can do it all again!

Rhoda said...

Hello! You don't know me but my mom says we're related some how...she left that part out. I got an email about Dustin and was asked to pray for him. You got it sister...or uh, 2nd cousin once removed or something. You've got a very cute family! I was excited to hear you were visiting SLC that's where I live! I've been here for about 14 years. So there is tons of family around here huh? I've been told they were all over the SL Valley but I don't know who they are! LOL. Well it was nice to read a little about you! ~Rhoda (Sedgwick) Crabb