Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Girly-Girl!

I already knew this about her. Gabriella loves pretty. Pretty clothes, pretty hair, pretty coloring pages, and pretty parties. What I got to witness today was a glimpse into the depth of her love for all things pretty.

As we were leaving a play date at the mall today, we passed by the store Claire's. As we ventured inside to take a peek at a cute Hello Kitty purse I saw in there (thinking possible birthday gift idea), Gabriella was transformed. She had never been in this store before. Another first for my girl - her first venture into accessory shopping. And I believe we are in trouble.

She became a wide-eyed, mesmerized, robotic version of her little cute self. It was if she was propelled by some external force from display to display, hands in front of her, just absorbing all of the "prettiness" oozing out of that store. I truly think she was in her own personal heaven. She didn't even have time to beg for one thing too much because she was always drawn away to something equally as pretty. Lip gloss, nail polish, headbands, tiaras, necklaces, princess wands, feather boas, purses, notepads, hair clips = PRETTY!

She showed great self-control by not ripping everything off of the shelf and by putting things back when I asked her to. The sales lady only too happily offered her a little basket to carry around which she gladly accepted. I wasn't planning on making a purchase and could see that this was getting to be a less realistic goal by the second. I decided it was time to cut and run and told Gabriella as I pushed the stroller out of the store to return the basket to the sales lady and come with me to the car we were headed home for sister's nap time.

She was obediently handing the basket to the sales lady as I looked back over my shoulder on my way out of the store, and when she turned around from putting the basket on the counter, my heart just broke.

Toward me walked my completely broken-hearted girl. Golf ball sized tears dropped from her eyes, her lips turned down and her mouth open as she emitted her heart-wrenching sobs. Now I have witnessed many a meltdown by this dramatic girl. But this one was different. This was not an I-did-not-get-my-way sadness, or an I'm-so-tired-I-feel-like-whining-about-everything bawling, and not even an I'm-three-and-will-be-defiant cry. This was true, from the depth of her being sadness. Existing in a place that was the outward example of her inner-prettiness was no more. She was given a small taste of heaven and couldn't believe that it was over - and that she didn't get to take a piece of it with her.

So a purchase was made. But to try and redeem some small shred of good parenting skills, I did make her stop crying and explain her feelings with real words. Small shred. I was still in charge here, right? :)

Here are the words I got: "But I want to get something fun. Something new to take home!" I thought this was a pretty good representation of the inner-shopper that lives in most of us.

Then the search for the right purchase (that was mommy approved after looking at the price tags) ensued. And what we walked away with was nothing I suggested at all, but fit the price tag requirement so I just said yes. Funny girl. See the picture below for the item in the store that satisfied her inner-pretty.

Don't you know that every girl needs some clip-on rainbow colored hair!?!?

No comments: