Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oliver's First Day of Kindergarten

Thanks to everyone who said prayers for Oliver and was thinking of us on his first day of Kindergarten! It went well as far as I could tell. We were all able to take him in the morning and it was a fine transition for all of us. I did my crying on Sunday so by Monday I was just excited. It took a couple of hours to draw anything out of him once he got home (which I knew it would) so we just had to be patient.

Some things we were able to get out of him:
  • It was a long day for him: "I was there in the morning AND the afternoon. It was a long time!"
  • He doesn't know anyone's name yet.
  • He had a fun day.
  • He saw a neighbor in the cafeteria at lunch but had to sit with his class which he was fine with.
  • He sat next to a boy and a girl at lunch.
  • He went to music and P.E. and played an instrument in Music which we couldn't quite understand but he was adamant that it had something to do with a Hamster wheel?
  • He did not go outside for recess but had recess inside in another classroom (we think this had to do with the construction - the school is being renovated).
  • He was HUNGRY after school. They do get a snack in the morning, have lunch around 12:30, and I brought him a little bagel and some nuts when I picked him up at 2:30. But that was not enough. He wanted FOOD! He eventually ate through that snack, some yogurt, a pudding cup and a piece of pizza before he was finally satiated.
  • He did not cry or miss Mommy :)
  • He played at the "McDonald's" center during center time (there really is such a thing).
  • He apparently really liked the rest time in the afternoon as that is one of the things he talked about the most. I think he was pretty tired at that point and probably really needed it! The teachers asked each kid to bring a towel to lay on for 15 minutes in the afternoon for the first few months of school while the kids get adjusted to the long days.
  • A lot of kids did not have a towel, but he did.
  • He came home without his lunchbox. I asked where it was and he confidently told me it was at school. I asked why he didn't bring it home and he told me that his teacher had told him it needed to stay in his locker... probably meaning during the day and not when it was time to go home :) My little rule follower.
I thought about him all day long and the girls and I were very excited to see him come pick-up time. We are excited for this year - I think it is going to be a good one!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that day 1 went well. I cannot wait to hear about how the rest of the week goes as well. Elana keeps looking for him at school and cannot wait to find him and waive to him. If you have any questions that I can answer along this new journey just let me know!

-Barrett

Kenzee Jo said...

How fun... I'm not sure if I'm looking forward for my first one to go. Quite the milestone :) Cute pictures...