Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A few more checks

I've completed a few more items on my 101 goals in 1001 days list (see link on the right sidebar of this page)... yay me!

#38 Clean out/organize garage – CHECK – 11/2008
This check on my list was actually completed by my sweet husband... at my request! What a good man. Our garage wasn't really in that bad of shape, but needed some TLC. It's looking pretty good now - lots of extra shelf space which I'm sure will get filled up eventually. I don't know though, I really like to get rid of stuff we don't use for a while. Those donation trucks that come through our neighborhood every few months are my friend. Giving things to people who need them more than I do AND not having to leave my house to do it - Win, Win!

#82 Read 5 books by the end of 2008 (started in August) – CHECK - 12/2008

This one was really a challenge for me. In the busyness of raising two toddlers, I don't have a ton of time to read. But I really wanted to get some books completed because I really do enjoy reading and like to enrich my brain! I made this goal not knowing if it was doable. So to complete it makes it that much sweeter! I've listed below the not 5, but 6 books I read from August through December 30th - I pushed it almost to the last minute! I've left my "star" rating (out of 4 stars) on them and more of a description on a few of them. I'm not up to writing reviews for all of them, but if one piques your interest, let me know and I'll give you more info!

1. George Muller**, Janet & Geoff Benge - August
I had been wanting to read some more books about heroes of the Christian faith. George Muller's story is absolutely amazing and definitely one you should check into. This particular book wasn't all that well written, but his story is extremely powerful!

2. The Power of a Positive Mom**** - Karol Ladd - November
Highly, HIGHLY recommend this book to all of you mom's out there. Practical, biblical advice in small chunks that you can digest in the few minutes you find time to read them!

3. The Trouble With Tulip** - Mindy Starns Clark - November

4. The Hiding Place**** - Corrie Ten Boom - December
Absolutely amazing story! I couldn't put it down! This was again continuing on in my quest to know more about heroes of the Christian faith. I never expected an autobiography to be such a page turner, but it truly was. I am usually drawn to fiction and read that mostly. But it was so refreshing at the end of the book to realize that the person I'd just read this amazing story about really lived and can be a real example in my life.

5. Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope**** - Don & Susie Van Ryn, Newell, Colleen & Whitney Cerak - December
Ok - this one is a funny story. Not because the book was funny - it is actually very tragic - but because this was an extreme case of "could not put it down" - literally. I picked up the book at my parent's house after Christmas and proceeded to read it in it's entirety (almost 300 pages) from 9:30pm until 2am. Click on the title for a link to the Amazon.com page about the book and read the summary of this amazing story. I still get chills every time I read it. Also non-fiction. I'm on a roll!

6. The New Dare to Discipline*** - Dr. James Dobson - December

I've already completed one book in January too! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

What I wouldn't give for a clean garage!

Jenni said...

Congrats on two more checks off the list! Some of your books sound great and I am excited to check them out.