Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Preschool Activity Bag Swap

Last night I hosted a Preschool Activity Bag Swap at my house. What is that you may ask... well I will tell you! Nineteen moms all got together and using a wonderful book I bought from the following website (www.activitybags.com), helped each other create a wealth of activities for our preschoolers to do that are both educational and fun! Each gallon-sized ziploc bag contains a self-guided activity that a preschooler can do by himself with little or no help.

I was the coordinator - no surprise for those of you who know me well. I sent out activity assignments to the 19 moms who signed up, including me! We each took our assigned activity and made 19 identical bags. The goal was to keep the price of all of the items making up each individual bag to $1... so that it would cost you less than $20 to make them all. Then we brought all of those bags to my house last night to do the swap... kind of like a cookie swap if you have ever done one. We put one of our bags into the collection bag of every other mom there, kind of like Valentine's Day boxes in Elementary School. Then after some snacks, lots of talking and a game (of couse - once again, no surprise for those of you who know me well), we all took our collection of bags home with us. For an example, some activity titles are Boredom Busters, Alpha Beads, Hidden Treasure, and ABC123 Match!

Oliver LOVES them! I am so excited to have so many prepared activities to do with him any time a moment of boredom hits! I've heard other moms say that their kids are having a blast too. So I would highly recommend this to you other moms out there. Organize a swap of your own!
Here are some pictures:All of the filled collection bags on my dining room table


A sample view of a filled collection bag


Oliver enjoying the "Let's Go Fishing" activity!

4 comments:

ASC said...

E did the foam letters and numbers matching this afternoon -- she literally did the activities over and over for more than an hour...so awesome! ... and hey, neat to see Oliver playing with that fishing pole! I had such fun making those! Thanks for coordinating this!

Tristan said...

That's a fun idea.

And yes, I miss the gathering planner extraordinaire since you've left AZ. No scrapbooking get togethers have been planned in your absence. So sad.

WiffsWife said...

Hello, i just came across your blog. I know this is an old post, but can you share what game you played? I would love to host a swap, but i've never been much of a party planner. I would love to start opening my home to more guests and learning how to entertain.

Thanks!

Those Dandy Dillards said...

Hi Lizzie Ann:

Here is the website that links to the book I used. It is called Preschool Activities in a Bag!

http://www.activitybags.com/

I hope that is helpful to you! We still pull them out from time to time!