Friday, June 26, 2009

Horn Creek - Day 5

Wednesday dawned promising to be a fun day... there were many things printed on the schedule for that day that peaked our interest. We spent the morning doing what we did best during our trip - eating. There was no shortage of good food and it was nice to have a hot breakfast every morning. We spent the morning in one of the kids' favorite buildings - the rec center. We played with the footballs, basketballs, and spent a lot of time in the racquetball court. For our boy who loves to throw - this was heaven. And I'll have to admit it is quite fun to throw a ball really hard and watch it bounce off the walls, floor, ceiling, etc. Another fun morning of family time.


Playing ball...


Daddy shooting some hoops


The gym (and volleyball net!)


My sweet racquetball boy


Waving to mommy up on the viewing platform above the court


On the schedule for the afternoon was something that I had been looking forward to all week... a Volleyball Tournament!!! Volleyball is by far my favorite sport to play; it is the only one I am any good at which is probably the reason it is my favorite sport to play :) So I was pumped and ready for the afternoon tournament. Matt's Dad graciously sat up at the Lodge with our kids while they napped (and provided him with one of his favorite Oliver quotes of all time - David this is for you "Dropped her baa baa"). So I was happy that Matt was able to accompany me and cheer me on.

There were three camper teams that played against a staff team. I played in the first game on the camper team and we lost a close game... but it was wonderful to play again. I don't think I had played since we moved away from Phoenix where I was extremely blessed to have a group of friends who got together to play sand volleyball every Monday night. I did that year-round for over a year and LOVED it. Great friends, good competition, and a good workout... awesome. So even though this was played in a gym, I still had a great time. I got to play again with the third camper team and then once more in a 3 on 3 match that was significantly more challenging than the 6 on 6 games we had been playing. But it was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Time to myself, doing something that I love... very fulfilling.

After volleyball, it was time to head back and get spruced up for Western Night. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, baked beans, and all kinds of yummy BBQ food for dinner. The staff and the campers were all dressed up in western gear... hats, boots, etc. Oliver was sad that he did not have a hat and boots like most of the older boys that he looked up to, but I told him we would work on that for next year. He did have a very cute western vest that Aunt Stephanie's mom had made for him. He was very proud to be wearing that! After dinner, we moseyed on down to the Area where they had a fun carnival complete with face painting, popcorn, root beer floats, horseshoes, and of course - pony rides! Now, we have been exposed to the opportunity for pony rides for the kids many times. And these invitations have always been met with a resounding "NO!" from both kids. But I guess the vacation attitude and festive atmosphere were working on them because they both wanted to ride! I was so proud of Oliver for once again facing something that was fearful for him and being so brave... and I think he actually enjoyed it! He went around the whole loop with Daddy's help.





Oliver finishing his ride... while sister looks on



Gabriella is not one to be left behind - especially when brother is doing something. So up she went (albeit with a very concerned look on her face). We made it about 30 seconds into the ride when we had to navigate down a very small dip in the terrain. The shifting of the horse as he walked down the incline through her for a loop and off she came.


Our little cowgirl... before we started moving




The night ended with a Western night music performance, melodrama, and square dance! We enjoyed singing some fun songs like "You Are My Sunshine" (which Gabby loved - that is HER song), "Keep on the Sunny Side" and one of the Dillard family favorites "I Cannot Come." Matt and I got to participate in the square dance with a live caller and really enjoyed ourselves. Except next year, we'll remember to pack our boots from our Trinity University Ropers Dance Troupe days...

After the dance, we headed back to the Lodge and joined Matt's parents and their friends the Nelsons in a game of my favorite card game Nertz as well as a long game of Hand and Foot (a rummy based card game). It was a fun and enjoyable evening with them... that lasted until almost 1am (boy were we feeling that late hour when the kids got up the next morning)! It was great to be able to have that time with the kids snoozing away in our room while we relaxed, unwound, and continued vacationing...

1 comment:

Darci said...

You know how to play Nertz?? We will have to get a group together and play sometime!