Monday, June 8, 2009

More Feeling Crafty

The crafty feeling has come and gone, but has left some cute completed projects in it's wake...

I had this hook/shelf sitting in my garage for probably 9 months when I took it down from our laundry room and replaced it with two rows of six hooks... 3 just wasn't cutting it for our family and all of our gear! I had been wanting a necklace holder for awhile... they are my favorite accessory! The one I have just isn't big enough to store some of my longer necklaces. I found an adorable but of course expensive one at Pottery Barn. But not in my budget... so I kept looking.

I finally came across a great idea for one on a blog I read, Dollar Store Crafts. The idea was to use a frame and add door knobs to it to create a necklace hanger. Click on the link to check out what they made - super cute! So I thought I could afford that... $3 or $4 for a necklace holder. But I was able to be even more frugal when one day as I was parking my car, my eyes settled on this shelf I had in the garage. I thought... a little black spray paint could go a long way with this piece. So I sprayed and was so happy with my results! And the cost - FREE because I already had the spray paint on hand!!

It now hangs on my closet wall ready to dispense the perfect accessory for whatever outfit I happen to find clean that day :) Oh - and I did hang it straight on the wall... I guess I was just feeling a little off balance when I took the picture!


Our neighbor was having a birthday this weekend and I wanted her to have something special and made with love. So I used the iron on transfer, bow making and sewing skills that I've been working on recently to make her a shirt with an 'E' for Elana. I can't wait to see her wear it - I was able to make it in less than an hour and was SO happy with how cute it turned out. Yay!

2 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

yay! I really need to make myself a necklace/earring holder. I love the "E" shirt too!

Megan and Travis said...

Very cute Mandy! I love the necklace holder, I was just thinking how I really need one- I just may copy your ideas once again. And the "E" shirt is super cute!!